This is a collaborative book with different perspectives and advice on starting and running a business but mostly on turning a small business mindset into a big business mindset.
A fantastic business book with chapters written by different people in business. Informative, motivational and inspiring content to help people in business take their ventures to the next level.
Practical advice and inspiration from others who have started and built their own businesses from scratch in different industries.
This book is not just one persons point of view or lots of theory, this book is real and genuine advice from various people who have learned from doing.
Everything from starting out, marketing, generating sales and building income to staying motivated and creating sustained business growth.
We are also working on Volume 2 and if you’d like to write a chapter for the next book send me a message, I’d be really keen to talk to you no matter what your experience in business and even if you’ve had no previous writing experience.
It’s free to download on Kindle for 5 days only, you don’t need a Kindle device, you can get the Kindle app free on any smartphone or tablet. Paperback will be released in the next couple of weeks.
UK Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013PM8E3O
U.S. Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PM8E3O
Also check out the website for the Small Business To Big Business Project: SmallBusinessToBigBusiness.com
If you’d like to discuss the idea of write a chapter get in touch using the form below:
I have worked with a lot of people in business over the years who have had to start over again in a new industry or new business venture. Even I’ve had to do it and it’s often inspiring to see people overcome adversity and make a change that see’s them succeed in something totally new to them.
Recently I’ve been working with ex England and Leicester Tigers rugby player Leon Lloyd and we’ve just released his new book Life After Sport: Boot Room to Board Room. For the next couple of days it’s available free on Amazon: Click here.
It’s a great book about the hard work and dedication that can go into a career and despite many successes, things might not turn out as expected. There’s also some great advice and information about finding success in business no matter what your starting position or previous experience might be. I can highly recommend it.
If you feel you have a book in you and would like some help getting it written and published or if you already have a book that you’d like to get published or promoted, please get in touch via the contact form below, I’d be happy to help.
Many people think that the key to success in business is a great business idea but the truth is you can have a hundred fantastic ideas, with awesome products and services but if nobody is getting the message, you have no business.
So you have great ideas, products and services but nobody knows about them? What do you do?
There’s two elements to the answer; the first is to deliver your message effectively so people know your business exists and what you’re offering, the second is for you to have enough credibility and the potential client trusts you or your business enough to make a purchase.
In my last post I covered getting your message and call to action clear in all your sales and marketing channels. This covers a lot in getting your message out there, you can have a look at it here: Telling Is Not Selling.
Social media and in particular Twitter has been great for me to reach new people and there’s a good chance that’s how you came to be here, which proves it works. Twitter marketing is not easy to get right but when you do it can yield great results for minimal spend. I have over 45,000 followers now and I’ve helped loads of my clients get thousands of new genuine targeted followers in a relatively short space of time, in the same way I have. It’s a little complicated to go into in a blog post but if you’d like to know more get in touch and I’d happily discuss it with you.
Advertising in its various forms, either online or offline can be effective but keep an eye on your spend. There’s no point spending $500 to sell 3 products that only cost $35 each.
As I’ve mentioned before, the best PR and marketing tools I have had are my books. I’ve now mentored 13 of my clients to creating bestselling books and they are all making thousands more per year just off the back of the credibility a bestselling book brings. Please note that anyone can write a book and throw it up on Kindle but to have a bestselling book in various formats that you can hand out or sell to potential clients is a massive boost to future sales by building trust.
Lastly but very importantly; don’t expect people to throw their credit card details for a $500 product at a website they have never visited before. People may well go on Amazon and spend $800 on a new TV but you are not Amazon, you don’t have that level of trust. It’s very likely that if you are selling anything over $50 you might need to have a conversation with the client on the phone before they hand over their money. So keep that in mind in your call to action in your marketing messages. Sometimes it’s better to drive potential customers towards “contact” rather than “Buy Now, Pay Here”.
I hope you have found this useful and if you’d like more details on anything discussed here I’d be happy to help. I offer a free half hour consultation on the phone or Skype. It costs nothing and there’s no obligation, just a minute of your time to fill out your information below.
Let’s Get Started:
We don’t share information with anyone and any information you submit or discuss with us now or in the future is dealt with in the strictest confidence.
Why is your marketing and sales material not working as well as it should?
Possibly because you don’t have a strong enough point. One of the key links between marketing and selling is getting a point across AND getting a client (or potential client) to act on it.
There’s a saying “Telling is not selling”, it’s not enough to put some information out there and expect people to act on it.
It doesn’t matter what format or platform we are talking about, it could be a web page, a flyer or even a sales call on the phone. Before you embark on “putting it out there” you need to ask yourself; “What do I want the person reading/hearing this message to DO after they’ve got it?”
If you are not totally clear on the precise and single call to action that you want to achieve then the potential client definitely won’t be clear on it either.
People are busy, people have distractions, people are not stupid but they sure can act that way when they have a million other things to think about. Make your message and call to action as simple as possible and spell out what you want them to do and how in the easiest way possible.
The other problem with a distracted audience is if they don’t act immediatly they will forget about you and your message. So how do you get them to act now?
Things to consider:
- Sell the benefits. If it’s a new bright LED bulb that last 10 years longer than the others, don’t tell them about the technology behind it or where it came from or who invented it and why, nobody gives a crap. Tell them it will save them money, it’s 2x brighter than the next best LED bulb, it last 10 years longer so you don’t have to change it and it’s more economical. Those are the benefits to the potential customer. If it will help them lose weight or save money; How much money? How much weight? In what timeframe? These are the precise benefits that will get someone’s attention.
- Limit the offer. Make it available to a limited number of people or for a short time frame e.g. 2 days (2 weeks would be too long, they’d think they have time to act later and then forget). Have a special price offer for a limited time or the first 10 people to purchase.
- Make the last line of your message your call to action. Don’t distract them with anything else after that. If you were on a sales call on the phone you’d ideally want to take a payment for purchase over the phone that’s your ultimate last call to action.
If you’d like to know more I offer a free half hour consultation on the phone or Skype. It costs nothing and there’s no obligation, just a minute of your time to fill out your information below.
Let’s Get Started:
We don’t share information with anyone and any information you submit or discuss with us now or in the future is dealt with in the strctest confidence.
The chances are that you are reading this because you came here via Twitter. If you didn’t it’s worth telling you that the hundreds of other people that read this today did come via Twitter and it makes up about 80% of my audience.
Like most business people I was told about the huge benefits to marketing on Twitter but when I first attempted using Twitter for promoting and marketing my products I didn’t get it at all. I gave up on it twice before I persevered and found the benefits.
As a businessman and entrepreneur I had been searching for a new method for marketing for some time but after writing my book I needed to find a way of promoting a product cheaply because the profit margin on one book is so small. For previous businesses I had used various marketing strategies from print advertising to pay per click advertising like Google Adwords but all of those were getting more expensive and really only suited to certain products or services with a high price point and larger profit margins.
I had similar reservations and questions to many of you:
- Why is this any different to Facebook or any other social media platform that I have tried and not got a lot of new business from?
- How much time and money am I going to need to spend on it before I get a return on my investment?
- Why have I spent so much time and money on social media marketing and not seen a return but others rave about it and say how much money they make from it?
What did I discover about Twitter marketing early on?
- From personal experience I have found out if you do Twitter marketing in the wrong way then you are wasting your valuable time.
- Often when you pay someone to do your social media marketing they know about as much as you do and they are taking your money to do your marketing in the wrong way so you don’t see a return on your investment. This can cost (or waste) between $200 and $800+ (£150 – £600+ GBP) of your hard earned money every month.
So what have I found out since?
- By spending about 15 minutes a day following a very specific strategy, using 2 online tools (that I am not affiliated to, they are just the best tools to achieve what I want) which cost about $10 a month, this small amount of time and little effort generates approximately 550 new targeted visitors to my website every week, over 2000 new targeted followers that are interested in my products every month and regular new paying customers every single day.
- Twitter reaches totally new potential customers that I would not normally reach (the goal of any business marketing strategy).
- You can target the followers you want to attract by what they are already interested in, location, male or female and even age. These are all incredibly useful when trying to attract new clients that might be interested in buying your products or services. Many people don’t realise how specifically you can target people, I recently helped with a Twitter marketing campaign for a restaurant in a small town in England and we got them 1500 new followers from that town (or regular visitors or tourists to that town) in a matter of weeks. This helped get them fully booked for key nights a week in advance, something they had never achieved previously. On the other end of the spectrum for myself and other clients we have worked with, we have built a global following, with a good week producing 1000 new targeted followers. I have worked with clients on Twitter marketing campaigns in the USA, UK, Australia, Ireland and Canada all with similar results.
- These new targeted leads turn into 2 – 5 brand new paying clients every day (just from Twitter) and many of these become repeat customers. This is a higher return than any other marketing method or social network strategy I have tried in the last few years (no matter how much money or time I threw at it).
- By using my specific strategy I could charge clients to do their Twitter marketing for them and earned in the region of $4000 a month from a handful of clients and an hour or 2 of spare time in my day. After you have learned my methods maybe you could do the same as an additional business enterprise. It works and I have had many satisfied customers who used other social media marketing services before but didn’t see the same returns as with my service and methods.
- I’ve also learned that this isn’t something I can easily explain or teach in a blog post or even a book. Although there are many sites and books that promise they can I dare you to try and see if there advice actually works in practice. I tried and none of them really created sales which is what any successful marketing campaign should be measured on. The truth is that every business is different and you need tailored advice for your specific Twitter marketing strategy. It also depnds where you are starting from, whether you are totally new to Twitter or you’ve been doing it for some time.
So how does my training model and methods work and what will you learn?
- 1 to 1 training on Skype or telephone plus other online presentation tools over 2 – 3 weeks (depending on your requirements).
- How to setup your account and profile in a way that attracts the followers you want. You have about 5 – 10 seconds when someone views your profile and they will decide whether they follow you or not. It is imperative to get your profile setup exactly right with certain features to get the maximum people following you.
- How to find the exact right people to target who are interested in what you are selling and get them to follow you.
- What specific tools to use to vastly speed up the process and automate a lot of the tedious tasks.
- How to stay within the strict Twitter limits and avoid account suspension.
- How to work around certain limits like the 2000 follow limit.
- How to get the most from your new followers by structuring tweets and links to get clicks and new clients buying every day.
I have created a 1 to 1 training and tutorial that explains all the steps. This is NOT a video or booklet, this is 1 to 1 training on Skype (or telephone) and online presentation tools, you speak with me directly and can ask questions and we can tailor the training for what you want to achieve for your specific business.
With Twitter marketing services (including mine) charging you hundreds of dollars a month (sometimes for little return), over a year this tutorial can bring you thousands of dollars worth of marketing with genuine leads and real clients at a fraction of the cost and only 15 minutes a day of your time doing basic Twitter tasks. It could also be a service you offer others, generating thousands in additional income as a simple part time venture.
So what does it cost? Keep in mind this is not a training video or ebook, this is my time spent on calls and email support with you to train you properly and tailored to your requirements. I’ve seen other group courses that offer no more than you can read in a cheap book from Amazon selling for thousands but I am offering my 1 to 1 Twitter marketing training and coaching for just $650 (£425 GBP).
So let’s get started so you can start building your targeted following on Twitter. Use the form below to get in touch and we can discuss it further.
After creating some best selling business books of my own I started to think about how I could do the same for others. Why would I want to do that? Mostly because I didn’t understand the value of having my own best selling book until I created one. The indirect additional income it created and clients knocking my door down instead of the other way around, inspired me to want to help other people in business to do the same. Not just get a book out but make it a best seller to create PR and credibility. Already we have taken some existing books for other coaches, consultants and business people and made them best sellers on Amazon but I wanted to help those that hadn’t written a book yet or didn’t have the time to write a whole book.
This prompted me to put out a quick message on Facebook if anyone was interested in writing just one chapter to go into a collaborative book that we would make a best seller. Already we have 10 authors and chapters and this first book should be ready for release in the next month. I am already considering a second volume of this book series to start working on in the next few months. Would you like to feature in our next book?
What’s the book about? I have already written 5 books about my own experiences in business and entrepreneurship, in my particular style, so I wanted a varied mix of information, experiences and personal stories. Some of the authors have smaller businesses, some larger. The chapters range from motivational through to practical advice from specialists in marketing and PR.
For more info on the value of a book see this other blog post I wrote The Value of a Book and if you are interested in being a part of it and featuring in our next book then I’d love to hear from you, contact us using the form below:
Why would you or I need a business mentor, coach or adviser? If you know your industry because you’ve done your research or you are an expert in the products or services you are selling why would anyone need a business mentor? Because there’s more to business than meets the eye and most people fail (or just get by and struggle) in business because they concentrate on what they are selling and not how they are selling it or how to create a successful business.
When I started my first proper business I was only about 23 years old, I was humble enough to recognize my own naivety so I sought advice from wherever I could get it. It didn’t take long for me to get hugely disappointed in the advice I got and realized that most people dishing out business advice knew no more than I did.
I spoke to business bank managers, local business advisers, small business accountants and anyone I could find who was in business. I remember clearly my biggest question when starting out was “How do I get new customers?”. Of course, I needed revenue, I needed to make money so I could reinvest that money as well as pay my bills. I had just become a father for the first time, I was a young Dad with responsibilities, I couldn’t get by without making money.
The advice I got was basic to say the least, such nuggets as “Have you thought about setting up a website?”, I know the internet was fairly new back then but of course I already had a website. Another gem offered more than once; “Have you got a yellow pages ad?” (this was when that was still important) and of course I already had more than one decent size ads.
It began to dawn on me that these people were either used to dishing out advice to local self employed plumbers or other micro businesses, or their own business was built on something they inherited or fell into, none of them had any experience in building a proper business enterprise from scratch.
The next thing that dawned on me was finding people who had built a big business from scratch was next to impossible and even if I could, finding one that would give me any of their time or advice was even harder. The people who knew nothing were quite happy to throw their opinions around but the rare few that knew something were hard to track down and tight lipped or bereft of time.
Thankfully I did track down and get help from some very experienced business people and it didn’t stop me from going bust because by the time I found them I was just about scraping a living but what they did do is propel me forward in business at a much faster pace than I would have done alone. They gave me shortcuts that shaved years off doing it through trial and error. It’s possible I wouldn’t have even achieved some of the things at all no matter how long I’d kept at it.
So why do I still need business mentors, coaches and advisers? Because I like to do new things and I know the difference between those that succeed in business and those that just get by or fail is the willingness to get advice and delegate to the right people. We can’t know everything and we can’t do everything. We can learn as much as we can and we can try and cover the tasks ourselves in the beginning but there comes a point where you have to admit your own limitations and get help, or get stuck within your own limitations.
I don’t care what your aims or goals are for your business, they all come down to money, even if you want to save the whales, you can save more whales when you’re making more money. So if I’m starting a new venture I want to prove it works by making money or at least generating some revenue as quickly as possible. Time and time again I’ve proved that my past experience in business and what I’ve learned from previous mentors, plus seeking advice from the right people in the industry (or related industries), gets results fastest. Reinventing the wheel, pretending I know it all and getting bad advice from people who haven’t achieved anything is the recipe for the slowest results.
Some of the key things I learned from my mentors that I put into practice and now teach others:
- How to effectively market a business to generate interest
- How to harness the interest from marketing and engage with potential clients
- How to sell to potential clients, not just pitch but close sales
- How to make sure I always get paid quickly without fail
- How to price products and services so they are profitable
- How to sell to the right clients who will pay and come back and how to ditch the bad customers who will eat your time, never pay promptly and create more problems than they solve
- How to add value to products and services that don’t cost too much in time or money so clients are happy to pay more and a larger profit margin is created without more investment
I could go on but I think you can see a theme here; these are all things that can be applied to almost any business and they revolve around generating revenue. Guess what? If you can do these things effectively then you can pay other people to do all the other stuff. Believe it or not the points mentioned above are the things that are hardest to get right. You can have THE BEST award winning products and services but if you can’t get clients, can’t sell to them, can’t get paid or get repeat business then you have a broke business that is destined to fail. on the flip side if you can find clients, build relationships and trust, sell to them and take their money, you can find someone else’s products or services to give them, you don’t need any products and services of your own to have a successful business.
My first decent mentor helped me transform my tiny business that was ticking over on a few thousand very month (as it had been for a couple of years) to making 15 grand a month in just 2 – 3 months. And this was done without any external help just me and his advice. This was just the start of my proper entrepreneurial career that went on leaps and bounds from that time onward. If this has peaked your interest and you’d like to know more about my business mentoring and coaching fill out the form below and I’ll be in touch.
Writing and self publishing one book created thousands in additional monthly income, purely by chance but now I know how I did it, I can replicate it. I had no idea of the value of a book until I wrote one.
Writing my first book How To Be Lucky was more for my own amusement than anything else and I probably would never have had the time to write had it not been for some specific circumstances that left me with time on my hands in a quiet place to write for a few months.
Despite being a firm believer in making your own luck, writing my first book did just happen by chance and I wasn’t expecting anything out of it, I didn’t even know if I would publish it while I wrote it, I seriously considered just keeping it to myself because some of it was personal and I really only wanted to get some thoughts down on paper for myself.
Despite having some publishing offers I decided to self publish as that’s what some other published authors recommended because it’s so easy now and the cut from publishers for unknown authors is small and they expect you to do most of your own PR and marketing anyway. So I released my first book and not a lot happened.
Initially I sold a few books but not many and I guess this is when I got the bug for the first time I felt like I had put a lot into getting the book out there and now I wanted as many people to read it as possible. So I spent about 6 months researching and talking to as many of the top people in book PR and social media marketing that I could. I discovered what worked and what didn’t work and after a lot of graft, toil, trial and error my book was a number 1 best seller on Amazon. I was shocked and elated but relieved that it had all been worthwhile.
So what did I discover after becoming a best seller on Amazon? The first thing was that you can shift hundreds or maybe thousands of books in a few weeks but after the cuts that companies like Amazon and printers take, an author ends up with a fraction, plus when you factor in the costs of marketing etc. you end up with very little indeed. That didn’t bother me because it’s not what I did it for and had enough money anyway. However the second thing I discovered was the book generated income indirectly, quite a lot of money and I wasn’t expecting it at all.
Because my book had a large business, entrepreneurship and self help element to it I got people contacting me asking for advice. Purely by accident this created a mentoring and consultancy business out of nowhere without even trying.
Purely by accident I saw the value in writing a best selling book, it’s instant credibility, PR and advertising for yourself as an expert in your field. Every time I send out the screen shot above of my book at number one on Amazon I get book sales, I get inquiries, I get business, I make money but mostly in ways others don’t expect.
Immediately I wondered if it was a fluke, so after writing another book I used the same methods to make that a best seller within a few weeks. Then I wondered if it was just my books I could market in this way so approached some other coaches in other fields of expertise and created best sellers for them too. The first was for a strength and conditioning coach Brendan Chaplin and his book It’s Not About Sets And Reps. This proved to me that it wasn’t just business books and I had a formula to create best sellers for any expert, consultant or coach. So I then helped a few others create best sellers and the formula never failed.
Recently I was approached by someone who mentioned they probably couldn’t write a whole book but they could see the value in having a bestselling book and I realized that quite a few others might be in a similar situation so currently I am working with a group of people in business who have written just one chapter for our book that we will be releasing soon. They will get the benefit of being a co-author of a best selling book and having their area of expertise advertised in a book but they’ve only had to write a short chapter.
The technology and services exist now so literally anyone can put out a book but if not enough people see it and read it then there’s not a lot of value or satisfaction in it, as I initially discovered. But having a bestselling book creates a huge potential income indirectly (even if not from book sales directly) and an enormous amount of satisfaction, credibility and achievement.
If you’d like to know more about this, if you have a book you’d like to make a best seller or you’d be interested in writing a chapter for our collaborative book or even if you’d like our help getting a book written for you if you don’t have time, I’d love to hear from you. Get in touch via the form below.
New annual Budapest Business Conference and Training – Friday 5th of September to Monday 8th of September 2014 at one of my favorite hotels in Budapest.
- How to start an additional business to run alongside your existing one with minimal investment.
- How to go from small business to big business in a self funded way.
- Sales training for business owners.
- Brainstorming together to come up with some great new ideas for businesses.
- The opportunity to go into business with me with ideas we come up with at the conference.
Because of the nature of how I want to structure the conference and training this will be limited to just 10 people.
- 4 days in a great boutique hotel in Budapest.
- Transfers from the airport.
- All food included which also includes evening meals at top restaurants in Budapest.
- Tour of Budapest.
- 3 days of business seminar, training, brain storming and Q&A with yours truly (topics and subjects TBC).
- Price includes you and a partner/friend.- Option to stay longer and spend additional time (with or without me) in Budapest.
- Meet like-minded business people and make new contacts
- Everything including food and accommodation is provided in the price of the conference, all you have to pay for in addition to this is flights (which we can help with if you need assistance finding the best flights).
The price for this fantastic trip including the conference is just £1850 GBP or $2950 USD
If you would like to join us and would like more information please fill out the contact form below so we can arrange a call and discuss it in more detail: